British Regiments Leading Up To The War
The following is a brief outline of the history of the British Regiments that were stationed at Fort St. Joseph on St. Joseph Island leading up to the War of 1812.
1796 – In the spring, Lieutenant Andrew Foster and the 24th Regiment helped survey and clear the land for Fort St. Joseph.
1796 – The establishment of the British Indian Department.
1796 – In the fall, Ensign Leonard Brown and twelve men from the Queen’s Rangers replaced the 24th Regiment.
1801 – Captain Peter Drummond and 42 men from the Royal Canadian Volunteers assisted with the construction of Fort St. Joseph.
1802 – Captain Alexander Clerk and men from the 49th Regiment assumed responsibility of Fort St. Joseph.
1805 – Captain Arthur Trew and the 41st Regiment arrived at the Fort.
1809 – Captain Thomas Dawson commanded a detachment of the 100th Regiment at Fort St. Joseph.
1811 – In September 1811, “Fort St. Joseph’s most famous commander”, Captain Charles Roberts, took charge of the Fort with the 10th Royal Veterans Regiment.